Fifteen years I lived in Utah
and never visited the Great Salt Lake.
I saw it, smelled it, knew it--
it was unavoidable, its greatness unexaggerated.
But I never slipped into that thickly salted lake
to bob around like an apple or a bath toy.
When I returned to Utah last summer,
it occurred to me
that I had once wanted to know
how it felt.
The day was scorchingly hot,
with a clear, sapphire sky arching overhead,
met halfway by chalky peaks.
Antelope Island called to me,
boasting herds of its namesake
and imported buffalo.
I took my boys
on the blinding-bright walk across the muddy expanse,
through the wall of tiny insects that billowed to life as we
breached it,
into the soft, warm water lapping at our ankles
Shins
Knees
Knees
Thighs--
we walked a mile ‘til we reached our waists,
so that we may lay back and giggle as the water held us too far
aloft,
off-balance, unable to sink.
Brine shrimp infested our bathing suits,
filled our hair with their dull brown glitter.
Shimmering water spread out around us,
drowned by the salt of the desert.
We floated like angels
among the reflected mountains.
(Here is the blog post I wrote after a 2013 visit; this poem was written for my Fiction Writing Class at the University of Iowa the following year; the background of this blog is composed of a picture that I took on that visit to the Lake)

No comments:
Post a Comment