Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Holding my breath

I just outed myself as an atheist to one of my mormon nephews...
Like, just-got-back-from-a-mission,
attending-BYU kind of nephew.
He also happens to be one of the sweetest, happiest, dearest boys I've ever known.
But still...I kind of can't believe I did it!!
How many years have I spent avoiding the topic of religion with my extended family,
even my Mom??
(I accidentally told her I was an atheist once,
and for the first time in almost 20 years,
she started trying to press religion back into me,
like it was something that could ever fit again...)

I think the email will be perceived well,
but I am hoping my nephew doesn't want to try to reconvert me.
That ship has sailed, buddy.
He asked what my religious beliefs are,
in a very sweet and kind way,
allowing me the opportunity to opt out,
but I poured it all out.
I think I also did a kind and gentle job of illustrating my viewpoint, but we'll see...

I think I need to start blogging again, because I have way too much to say.
But I guess it's a dead medium.
I dunno. Maybe I can bring it back - has it been long enough to be considered "retro"??

2 comments:

  1. Dead "Medium." Coincidentally, that's where the cool kids play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've conjured images of a deceased psychic, with the cast of "Mean Girls" playing jump rope nearby...

      Besides, I think the supposed cool kids play on Twitter and Instagram and...some places I've never even heard of...I am a dinosaur, for sure.

      Delete