You were bigger, kind of burly -
evoking Deidrich Bader in Office Space.
You were slightly balding,
but with long (shoulder-length) hair,
not quite stringy, but also not well-brushed.
No facial hair.
You wore jean shorts (not cut-offs)
and a faded and stained band t-shirt from the 80s -
maybe Bananarama or the Bangles -
there was a large pink scalene triangle and some aqua writing.
You were still sexy, somehow,
and I asked you to show me all your tats.
You lifted your shirt
and it exposed your shoulders and upper arms
which were filled with
colorful depictions of sports team logos
woven with tribals in black;
a red cartoonish bird wrapped around your left shoulder.
You were the leader of the pack of old friends who'd shown up
to go golfing with you in the middle of this work day,
like spectres, like lost dreams.
They changed you into a person I never knew,
instead of the one I almost know.
No comments:
Post a Comment