When I first heard this song,
I was struck by the image of raw passion,
I was struck by the image of raw passion,
visions of desperate, grasping desire
spinning across the stage of my mind -
and then I saw the video;
different from what my neurons fired at each other
within my skull,
but not so far removed, really.
This song's title, at least,
goes well with the little snippet I pulled from my memo pad on my phone.
8/14/2016
My church is this beautiful planet -
My church is this beautiful planet -
the rocky coastline of Maine,
where I grew up,
its rugged terrain, its harsh winters;
berries growing in cool forests,
sea life teaming in dark grey-green water--
Maine, with its only straight lines to be found
in the pine trees that crowd its shores;
the red sands and arches of Utah's deserts,
capped by rich blue skies;
soft snow cascading down ski-able peaks,
rivers to kayak in,
and all the animals one might be lucky enough to see.
I've lived in 4 states so far,
and even found serenity in the comparatively bland beauty of Iowa--
rolling green hills, crowned with rich red barns;
I'm in Pennsylania now,
and William was not exaggerating:
this is a sylvan wonderland,
rich, green forests bend low over winding roads,
like Mother Nature herself hugging the world.
This is heaven,
this is church.
And I don't believe in hell.
This is heaven,
this is church.
And I don't believe in hell.
For many years after leaving the church of my youth,
of my family,
I uneasily, defiantly,
joked about the certainty of my place in hell...
joked about the certainty of my place in hell...
Now, I smile, filled with peace and joy,
because the only hell is the one we make for ourselves--
by choosing to believe that we deserve pain or punishment for simply being human.
Church is to build and test self-discipline. That is all.
Love yourself, forgive yourself.
Church is to build and test self-discipline. That is all.
Love yourself, forgive yourself.
Be kind, be honest. The end.
No comments:
Post a Comment