Monday, May 14, 2018

Starshine

Come with me, she said.
We can smoke, 
then lie on the grass and look at the stars. 
I bet you know things about stars...
He smiled at first, but then stepped away a little,
not quite letting her hand rest on his shoulder.
I gotta go...he said.
She stepped near again, ready to drop all pretenses and say what she really meant.
She was ready to let him see her.
He...
he let her stand there,
inches from his face.
He let himself feel her breath on his neck as she looked up at him.
She started to speak,
but instead she sighed, chewed her bottom lip as her brows furrowed,
and stepped back.
Some other time, I guess. She shrugged and dropped her eyes.
She was just shifting her weight to one foot so she could step backward,
when his hands were in her hair and he was drawing her mouth to his.

No comments:

Post a Comment