you called me.
The most selfish person you'd ever met.
I recoiled,
angry -
unwilling to wear this mantel you cast over me.
I remember the way my eyes darkened,
narrowed;
the way my jaw set in defiance.
How could he think that of
me? I huffed.
Everything I do is for you
for our children -
teaching them to count,
to read, to ride bikes;
taking care of you all -
cooking your favorite foods,
cleaning all your clothes
and all the rooms of our house -
all 4 goddamned bathrooms,
and even your
empty soda cans and
empty cigarette packs
from the floor of your
empty
Mercedes.
All this, I do for You,
the master of my destiny,
but not the Captain of my soul.
I writhe under your steely grip,
agonizing over my loss of freedom.
I discard any notion
that you could be correct
about my degree of selfishness,
and press onward,
away from our life together.
that you could be correct
about my degree of selfishness,
and press onward,
away from our life together.
But now...
a decade has passed,
in which we have been separated by cavernous distance
and mostly silence.
And I finally realize
that you were right.
About so much.
But especially the selfishness.
I would expand that indictment to include
self-centered
self-obsessed
self-indulgent,
for starters.
I am all that you called me and more.
I am all that you called me and more.
I would reach across the distance
and fill the silence with apologies.
No comments:
Post a Comment