Saturday, November 10, 2018

R. E. M. Sleep/Religion Lost

Deep in the folds of my sleeping mind
I stood in the foyer of my childhood church. 
It was the present,
and I was crisply aware that I didn't belong. 
I looked about, waiting for Tim, the head of our congregation when I was a teenager;
I wanted to unburden myself, and considered (skeptically) whether I might find relief through this ancient empty ritual.
When I entered his office
It was you
Standing there to greet me.
I smiled, knowing you would open your arms wide enough to hold all my troubles. 
I sat and you leaned across your desk,
Staring intently into my eyes as I spoke, softly, steadily. 
I felt as light as air
And a little smug - 
You are no preacher, no man ordained by god. 
And yet
You'd been able to bless me. 
I knelt before you
And held your eyes at I unbuckled your belt. 
I felt the warmth of your body against my skin
And I took you into my mouth. 
The dream slowed down here,
And I traveled through time
Relishing the taste of you, the feel of my tongue as it swirled around the smooth flesh filling my mouth... 
I don't know how dreams work, 
But I lived in that moment for what felt like hours....days....
And then I stood 
and you smiled and took my hand
And then I woke up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment