Saturday, April 7, 2018

Roots are for Trees

I have spent my adult life
dragging my Self
and my stuff
from one corner of the country to another
and back again
and then plopping down in the middle,
a pouting child –
but then one more jagged run toward the northeastern coast,
flopping down a bit too far inland,
stubbornly finished with all the upheaval.
Each time, I left a chunk of Me behind.
Each time, the landscape of my dreams was altered in irreversible ways.
I can’t find my desire for Maine’s crushed-rock fingers of land
or the choppy gray-blue ocean they press into;
I can’t find my certainty
my roots
my belonging –
or even my longing.
I float, adrift on this giant land mass,
remembering the rumble of my father’s lobster boat
and the swell and surge of the unending waves beneath us;
I have lost my sea legs,
instead stumbling and swaying here on the firm ground,
willing it to be a blustery, frigid day in early spring
on a white-capped expanse of deeper colder water
than most people I’ve lived near could even imagine -
water that they would only want to skim over the surface of,
or, better, look at from the fog-shrouded wharf 
as they await the return of the catch-laden boat.
I sit
(like an empty lobster trap
hung with sea moss, 
drying in the cold gray light)
smelling of salt, 
tears for the home I’ve lost my way back to.


No comments:

Post a Comment